I got tired of reading blogs where all the kids were shiny faced, rooms are spotless and everyone is so dang happy all the dang time. Believe me, I'd like to think I am a happy go lucky person, but as a mother to four kids under five, things are bound to get a little hairy. And I don't mind letting others know that.
As a result I feel two things about my blog lately:
1. I have been focusing too much on the things my kids do that drive me crazy, and
2. I have avoided telling the truth about my spiritual side as to not bore, offend others, or sound self righteous.
I am going to take care of #2 with a honest look at a teeny tiny trial I've had:

I have seen trailer after trailer for the movie The Ugly Truth and have wanted to see it badly. It looks like a cool chick flick, totally up my alley. The problem? It's rated R.
There are a lot of people who wouldn't think twice about going to see a movie they wanted to see regardless of it's rating. I am old enough to get in without my parents. I am a grown woman and can look past a sex scene or forgive an occasional profanity. It's no big deal, right?

No big deal except for the fact that I believe in modern revelation, and there is a living, breathing prophet who acts as the mouth piece for God.
I know the prophet (and all the others before him) have laid it on the line about media and entertainment:
"Whatever you read, listen to or look at has an effect on you. Therefore, choose only entertainment and media that uplift you. Good entertainment will help you have good thoughts and make righteous choices. It will allow you to enjoy yourself without losing the Spirit of the Lord." For The Strength of Youth, page 17
I can easily rationalize this counsel away. Is one R movie really going to make that big a deal in my life?
Probably not.
The problem is I don't know for sure. I can't see around certain corners and I have to decide for myself what I am going to do.
A couple days ago I was going to go see this movie by myself.
That was until I was reading an address from M. Russell Ballard. This paragraph stood off the page as I was reading: "I cannot stress enough the importance of listening to and following the prophet and apostles. In today's world, where twenty-four hours a day the media's talking heads spew forth conflicting opinions, where men and women jockey for everything from your money to your vote, there is one unpolluted, unbiased, clear voice that you can always count on. And that is the voice of the living prophet and apostles. Our only motive is 'the everlasting welfare of your souls' (2 Nephi 2:30)."
For me, that was enough to get over the want/need to see this movie, a movie that undoubtedly would be like any other chick flick as Steve pointed out.
I know that we are blessed to have a prophet who makes the path bright and clear as the world blurs lines and obscures the way with bright lights and cool chick flicks. *wink* I need to make my actions consistent with my beliefs so I can have the Spirit of the Lord with me in my day to day life.
Did I mention I was the mother to four children under five?
I need all the extra help I can get.
That to me is the beautiful truth.


5 comments:
What wonderful counsel. Isn't it nice that we not only have a prophet, but we have our children to help us stay on the straight and narrow?
Audrey, all I have to say is, you're an incredible example, I could feel the sweet spirit right when I was reading your post! Everything you mention about blog and our want/need are all so TRUE!!! Thanks for sharing this with us, this is something we all need to think about.
By the way, thanks for an awesome night, you are too FUNNY!! I almost convinced Bryan about the face bar, but maybe another time though, haha
Thanks Audrey for Standing for the Right!! I wish everyone cared as much as you do about the things we may think are small, but are really glimpses of who we really are. You are truly awesome and I have always felt that way about you!
You're awesome Audrey. I haven't been blogging much these days about what "real" stuff goes on in my home, mostly because I feel so tired to even start on writing the good, bad, and ugly. You know, it's VERY interesting about this movie--I've had the EXACT same thoughts as you about it (weird!!), and I NEVER, EVER see rated R movies, exactly because we're well, just not "supposed to." Interestingly enough, that was a question I was asked by the stake president ("do you watch R rated movies") when I had my BYU interview as a senior in high school, and it's always stuck with me. But, how easy it can be to rationalize just one movie, "how could this REALLY effect me" sort of thing...but then I realized it's kinda a slippery slope. You could say that about one beautiful looking margarita drink or something. I think Heavenly Father really does watch us and how true we are to the seemingly "little stuff"--like maybe some random R-rated movie--tells him how committed we are. Love ya girl, sure miss you, but yay for blogs for sure...I need to do better. Goal for August I suppose!:)
Way to go girl!
Post a Comment