Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I thought it was a good idea at the time


but this shoe basket has turned into the overflowing, shoe eating, dirt collecting, tripping machine.


I thought it was brilliant at first. A place where all our shoes could hang out, out of the way. A visual reminder to all of us when we first come home that we don't wear shoes on the carpet any more. Well, it has mutated.


I've had enough.


The shoes are all going to new designated spaces in our own closets, and we can put them away when not using them. I think we'll still leave flip flops and the shoes that we are wearing that day some where in the laundry room (definitely not in a basket) for ease, but that is it. We'll have to be more disciplined about shoes, but it is time to move on.


I'm tackling laundry again today too. I just woke up feisty and energetic, huh?


Have you ever had a brilliant idea that turned out to be not so great? Any ideas on how to store a couple pairs of shoes? I'd love to hear what you think.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I have a basket I leave in the garage for shoes- just outside the door to come in the laundry room. It keeps the dirt from collecting in the laundry room. I have the kids put the shoes away- in the right closets- a couple times a week for a chore. I started doing it when Kaiden was two. It works pretty great!

The Smith Family said...

I have a large floor to ceiling shelf outside the door to the house in our garage where we keep shoes (no one wears shoes in houses out here, mostly because 3/4of the year is spent in icky weather where salt, sand, and snow on shoes just isn't good for inside. Anyway, the shelf works...until we all one by one flick off our shoes in the garage instead of bending down to pick them up...and the pile grows until I put them all back on the shelf!:(