That being said, I saw this recipe on FB and thought it would be an interesting thing to give a try.
The recipe is for-brace yourself-homemade laundry detergent.
I'm not crazy! Really!
Just keep reading and you'll see why I was enticed to try it at least once:
1. Grate a bar of Fels-Naptha soap. I saw that Zote was another brand that people had success with.
A side note here: I had to make sure I was right next to this stuff while I was doing this. I couldn't step away for a minute or leave it unattended on the counter because I have little cheese loving mice children. This stuff looks just like cheese, especially when it is grated.
I'm just saying.
I didn't want to have to make any phone calls to poison control admitting that my son had gotten through half a bar of the stuff before he realized it wasn't cheese or before I realized what he was doing. That would be down right embarrassing.
2. Add the soap to 4 cups of hot water.
I'm sketchy on how exactly Steve mixed everything (we don't have a mortar mixer) as I went in to help kids in showers. All I know is that a 9 iron may have been involved, and somehow it worked.
I'm just fine not knowing all the details.
I have done about seven loads now with the homemade stuff and so far everything is just fine. I give the bottle a good shake and then pour out 5/8 cup per load. I was a little disturbed the first couple times I put the detergent in the basin and there were no bubbles. I have since gotten over it.
There was also a suggestion to add 10-15 drops of essential oil to every two gallons once the gel had cooled. I did not do this because a., I have no idea where to find essential oils other than online and b., I just scored this baby a Target:
I am crazy like that.
But I am not going all anti-social/anti-world on you people. I won't yank my kids from the public school system and begin wearing an aluminum foil hat so the government can't read my thoughts.
This was relatively easy, and if you noticed, this recipe makes 10 gallons of detergent.
TEN GALLONS.
I already had a box of Borax hanging around from my orange crayon fiasco, and I have hot tap water pretty handy too. I was able to find both the bar of soap and the A&H stuff at Winco in the laundry isle. Both were pretty reasonably priced.
So, FYI I thought this was pretty cool.
Would you ever consider making homemade laundry detergent?
P.S. I am not crazy!


5 comments:
I have made it before. I thought it was fine until a number of loads later I noticed it wasn't cleaning anything that had spit up on it...which this was when Robbie was a baby and everything (including my stuff) had spit up all over it. I has since retired the home made soap. It is a super deal and maybe now that we don't have spit up I should think about trying it again....
hmmmmmmmm...............
we'll see.
I remember watching on tv that Duggar lady with the 30kids making this sort of concoction and I wondered how well it did--she said it was one of the ways she cut expenses with the MANY loads of laundry that she did daily. I may consider it at some point and am glad you tried it! For now I'm using the Tide that my parents stocked me up on at Thanksgiving when they came out...blessings of having my dad work for P&G!:) Oh yeah, does it smell at all? That's probably the only thing I can look forward to when doing laundry, I love the Tide/Downey/Bounce smell that comes from doing laundry!
Hi Sharlene! I must be totally out of the loop; when I saw it I thought that only a handful of people were doing it. Who has time to make their own detergent? I'm gonna have to watch for the spit up though. I haven't noticed anything yet, and we have an abundance of that right now. Yuck.
Was this pretty much how you made yours? Same stuff?
Ha ha! That woman with 30 kids is looking really crazy now that you're counting the days to your third huh! How does she do it? I can't imagine being pregnant that long. That was very generous of your parents; what a great gift!
There is a smell to the bar soap that is grated, but I thought that kinda disappeared in the process. I think that is why they mention adding the oil at the end (someone also said she didn't like the way it smelled altogether). But it's fine for me because all I can smell is the Downey I throw in with it! I have found that I love the smell of Tide too...yum!
Audrey, I am so horrible about leaving comments but I do check out your blog regularly. I love it! It's one of those blogs that I so enjoy reading because you totally have voice (school teacher coming out in me!). Anyhow, love the homemade laundry detergent idea. I may have to try it once we're back in Texas... :)
umm.. I think you are crazy. Plain and simple.
NO I am just kidding, I think I might just try this and show all of my broke army wife neighbors too! Thanks for the step-by-step!
<3
Post a Comment