Wednesday, March 17, 2010

busy day

Along with all the St. Patrick's Day festivities (alright, really it's all about the green food, not anything more festive than that) my uncle is in town with his family. Us Californians haven't seen them in a very long time; they live in Texas of all places. They decided to make a road trip out to Cali and we're all going out to dinner tonight (read: I don't have to come up with something crazy green for dinner *sigh*).

My Mom called last night to give me the details for today:

Mom: "So we'll have dinner at Javier's at 4:30."

A: "Sounds great. We'll be there."

M: "There's also talk of meeting somewhere after dinner to visit and maybe have dessert..."

A: "Okay."

I had to act like I didn't get what she was getting to. I'm ornery like that after her twelfth phone call of the day.

M: "There's going to be about twenty people so we're going to need a big house..."

A: "Well, we could use the rec. room at the O.P.."

The O.P. is Grandma Alice's assisted living facility. I was really holding out on my mom here.

M: "Well, Grandma was hoping that we could go to your place since it's not too far from the restaurant."

Throw poor Grandma under the bus, Mom. Way to go.

A: "Yes, mother. It's no problem."

M: "Oh, good. I'm not busy tomorrow, so if you need me to come over and help..."

A: "Help with what, Mom?"

Silence.

A long, uncomfortable silence ensued.

M: "Oh, I just thought you might need some help with... the kids."

My kids? Did anyone just read my post about how angelic my children are? If anyone on this green earth thinks my kids are little angels, it would be my mother. She was grasping- grasping for anything. What she is really alluding to here is the fact that she doesn't think I'm that great of a housekeeper. "Clean your house" is what I am hearing. It's like I'm fourteen again: "Clean your room! We have company coming!"

A: "Nope. I think I've got 'the kids' covered. Thanks mom."

That's me digging my heels in and showing her that I'm and adult now and can make my own decisions. There will be toys from here to Timbuktu and dishes stacked in the sink. Laundry needing to be folded patiently waiting on the couch and the hamper will be overflowing.

I'll show her.

I just love how mothers and daughters communicate their thoughts and love without having to come out and say it directly. It's a beautiful thing.

I'm a liar. I'll be mopping, scrubbing, stuffing, shining all day today.

I love my mother.

Now if I could just remember it's early release today too, I'll be in good shape.

1 comment:

Tringali Family said...

Hahaha that is too funny.