This is officially my longest post ever. Brace yourself or skip a lot!
A couple of weekends ago Steve and I were able to ditch the kids to visit his family who live near the Oregon/Idaho border.
I make it sound like it was no big deal leaving the kids with my parents but really as much as I needed this break from the kids I cried in the airport as my dad drove away with them; it's just plain hard for me to say goodbye. I got over it fast though, and hopped on a plane to meet my hubby in Vegas.
Friday morning our flight was pretty early, and well...we missed it. Long story short, we flew into Bozeman, MT and drove eight and a half hours to our destination in Oregon.
A shot of the strip as we flew away. It's not all that impressive from up here...
This post will bring light to one of my weaknesses that I've mentioned here before: I don't like taking pictures of people. I don't like to make people uncomfortable or force them to do something they don't want to do(or at least in my mind that's their opinion).
Don't be surprised by the number of landscape vs. people pictures.
The view just moments after hitting the road in Bozeman. ROAD TRIP!
We even drove through a part of Yellowstone National Park.
No sign of Yogi (or any other bears). Must have been too cold.
As we drove through Idaho we passed all three of the temples. First up was Rexburg,
Then Idaho Falls (we were too far from it to produce a reasonable picture),
and lastly, Boise
Now for some people shots. These are from Saturday night, as we joined the family at Kelsie's b-day party which was held at Aunt Judy and Uncle Steve's place in Oregon. Super people.
Notice these are candid shots that I thought I was being pretty sly about taking. I'm sure they were all thinking "Why is that crazy Fresno State girl taking pictures of the side of our heads?"
Did I forget to mention the whole family up there are very enthusiastic Boise State fans? Yeah, that was kind of jarring in the beginning, but I was able to look past that little detail...kind of.
There was snow everywhere. I was really worried about freezing my tush off, but it wasn't that bad. I managed and it was beautiful.
This was an attempt to take a picture of it snowing. It didn't work so well, but I was captivated, as it was the second time I had seen it snow (in my life). Absolutely beautiful. This is a shot off the back porch of Steve & Judy's place.
Ah! More people...I took this as we were getting ready to leave and I thought "It's now or never lady! Snap some pictures!" Meet Jim and Cami, and their mother Judy (Steve's cousins and Aunt).
There's Grandma Nomie and Uncle Steve. There were three Steves hanging out that weekend. It made it kinda easy to remember names. Uncle Steve here is one funny guy.
Gotta add some estrogen to the frame; me and Sylvia joined the group:
It was touching to see how much love is shown and shared amongst the family there. All ages go to visit Grandpa on a daily basis, and they love doing it. They tease and talk with him and love him. He is one lucky man.
We were very lucky too. Not one moment of the visit was uncomfortable, weird, or awkward (ok, maybe it was a little awkward when I asked a 24 year old cousin what grade she was in, but that was my own doing). To spend time with Steve's family (for the first time) was awesome. I am so glad we made the long and crazy trip. And while it was good for me to have a weekend without the kids I was kinda sad they weren't there to meet everyone too. I have a feeling everyone would have liked us more having met our adorable offspring. It just seems to work like that.
I really enjoy flying, and I hope that our immediate family will be able to do some traveling in the future. I snapped some shots on the flight home to show the kids what it looked like to be above the clouds
and to be in between them
I'm beat.


7 comments:
Great post! I am so glad you got to meet everyone! Family reunion in July... you guys coming?
Sounds like a fun trip! Did you get some sleep while you were gone?
Really??? You've only ever seen it snow twice in your entire life??? I'm speachless.
Casey, we are planning on coming. I think the kids (and us) would have so much fun together!
Lori, I did sleep; in fact, a little too much I think. That's partly the reason we missed our flight, and one afternoon we had to ourselves we just went back to the room and I took a long nap! Boring!
Erin...how long has it been since you've been gone? Too long if you don't remember what the winters are like here! I don't get out much either... I've seen hail a handful of times, but as far as actual snow, the only time was a freak of nature thing here about 10 yrs ago and even then it didn't stick!
I'm so glad you guys were able to get away; those "just the two of us" trips are SO needed and neat that you were able to visit with Steve's family. And, for the record, since I'm a long winded blogger, it's good to know that you can have long posts too. It makes me feel better!:)
I agree 100% Melissa. Mommy AND Daddy time TOGETHER is essential. It's just really hard to find sometimes!
For the record, I love reading your "long winded" posts!
that didn't feel long at all...the pics help!! : )
Post a Comment