Monday, September 28, 2009

ah, life

Life... it is:

good.
hard.
fun.
sad.
maddening.
joyful.
blah.
exciting.
mundane.
rewarding.
so not fair.
bliss.
I made it through Friday pretty well. No big breakdowns, just my normal everyday frustrations. I was happy to make it without feeling it necessary to cry at every turn.
I do not want to mislead you though. There were plenty of tears shed Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday morning I opened my email to find out that a family in our ward had found their little two year old boy in their pool. He had been resuscitated and was in critical condition at the hospital. I know our whole ward family and everyone who knew of the situation were praying and pleading with Heavenly Father for this little boy's life to be spared.

But for reasons unknown to us, he was called home Saturday evening.

Oh, how my heart broke in two.

Instantly I thought of all the events that unfolded from that very moment we said good bye to our little son.
shock.
numbness.
confusion.
grief.
concern.
worry.
disbelief.

Thinking about what this family has to go through now just makes me want to throw in the towel. I keep wondering how I can help, what I can say to give advice, comfort. But the reality is there isn't much anyone can do in this situation. Everyone is so different and what worked for me may or may not work for her. I do believe however, that they can make it through by leaning on their faith, family, and Heavenly Father.
All of this has made me step back realize how lucky I am to be a mom to four beautiful kids right now who occasionally drive me nuts.

But that is just precisely what I need to focus on: occasionally they drive me nuts.
I think I've been focusing on the occasional part and expanding it into an all-the-time deal.

I have been enjoying the "stages" of life the past couple of days, whether it be frustrating, joyful, or mundane.





Life is good.

6 comments:

Casey said...

All I can say is that your blog is so very true, and I love that your write even the REALLY hard stuff. You are so great and we miss the whole family! Loves!

The Smith Family said...

I've been thinking of you the past few days. So sorry to hear of the little boy in your ward, that's just terrible. You gave me a good wake up call for the day--I need to remember the whole "occasional nuttiness" that is in my home these days! Hugs!

melanie said...

I love you

Bryan and Sunny Tringali said...

My heart is in pain just by reading your post...what a tragic news...I know that he is in the hands of our Heavenly father now safe and sound and well taken care of..hope your ok. If you ever need someone to talk to, I am hear for you Audrey!

Becky said...

Thanks for writing about this; how difficult and how sad; Thanks for sharing your faith, though.

Kristi said...

Hey thanks for that post. Sometimes I think we forget just how dangerous water is. Just the other night I was looking at the fence around our pool and contemplating taking the thing down because it would be so much prettier. Who knows, maybe you just save a little life.

Our prayers for your friends and their family. So sorry to hear about the tragedy.