Thursday, April 14, 2011

thoughtful thursday

Okay, okay you're in for another confession session (I'm a poet and didn't know it). Since General Conference was so amazing, I've been slacking on reading the addresses from October.

I know, terrible!

I know I could just read and/or watch the most recent stuff online, but I'm kinda weird in the fact that when I study I like to mark things up. I underline, highlight, star, and jot notes in the margins. I can't do that with the laptop screen.

I also know you're thinking, "well why doesn't she just print it out and then study it?" My answer would be simply, I don't do well with loose sheets of paper. I tend to lose them, and I want to be able to go back and read all my notes. Hence the reason why I am ever so patiently awaiting the arrival of the Ensign copy in the mail. I guess that shouldn't stop me from reading/listening to the new stuff online, I'll just have to sit on my hands to not write on the screen.

On to Thursday's thought:

I went to Time Out For Women's 2011 Tour this passed (or is it past? In my head they both work) weekend and had an amazing time. I loved it and walked away feeling well, filled. There were lots of speakers/performers all of which were very inspiring. I totally recommend catching it if it's coming to a city near you. It's fan-tas-tic.

Hilary Weeks spoke and performed; she's a very funny lady. Here's a clip of one of my favorite funny pieces of hers:


Ah, bedtime and nap time. Gotta love it. It hits so close to home.

Quotes. I am easily distracted. Get to the quotes already!

Ok. This quote from Eleanor Roosevelt (she wasn't there obviously, but Laurel Christensen quoted her) really struck me as I know it touched a lot of women. I am posting knowing that a lot of us have heard it, but I read it again Monday in a totally unrelated book and felt it's power. Again. So here goes:

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence
by every experience in which you really
stop to look fear in the face...You must do
the thing you think you cannot do."

Laurel also passed along some great advice from a physical trainer she was working with. She was really struggling to get through a hard run when her trainer got in her face and yelled,
"Don't you dare be the one thing standing in your way. Finish this!"

Holy guacamole.

And if that isn't enough for you, here's one more thought from Laurel, "I didn't think I could, I knew I couldn't, and I was wrong. "

Awesome. It was so deliciously awesome.

Just in case you didn't get a chance or won't get a chance to see it for yourself Deseret Books is compiling a DVD of "most" of the speaker's performances. You can pre-order it here, as it won't come out until December when they're done with the tour. A perfect Mother's Day, birthday, anniversary, flag day, or un-birthday gift if you ask me.

No comments: