Friday, August 28, 2009

speaking of baking

The kids and I visited grandma and grandpa's house this morning, so guess what we came home with?

You know it! The air popper. We are so making yummy chocolate covered caramel popcorn tonight! Be still my sugar deprived heart!

The next thought that I have to share today will certainly not apply to everyone. Specifically those with normal to dense, thick, and volume pumped hair. You people may think I'm a little off, but most people do anyway...

I have always been blessed with very fine hair. There are absolutely some advantages to rocking it: it only takes about five minutes to blow dry, about fifteen to air dry, and depending on the hair dresser/style of the cut, about fifteen to get it cut. There isn't much there, so it doesn't take long to get it done.

On the flip side, there are somethings that drive me nuts about my hair. The biggest con is the fact that my hair gets super oily really quickly. I have to wash my hair everyday. That's not so bad because I shower everyday. Not a big deal. The kicker is that if I decide to shower at night, my hair is string greasy by noon the next day.

Stink. That is so not attractive.

A couple of years ago I remember coming across the solution of adding powder to my hair to absorb the oil when in a pinch. I gave it a whirl and discovered that it worked pretty well, except for two things: first, I really have to rub it in because it is WHITE. White mixed with my hair (and I'm assuming most colors) gives off a gray tint. The second con is getting little piles of powder stuck to my scalp. I have very fine hair, remember?

Not too long ago as I was griping with an understanding sister in law she told me that my niece uses flour too. Flour...makes sense to me! If I'm gonna put powder in, why not good ol' flour?

I tried using flour the other day and it did pretty much the same thing for me. Humph. Not bad.

I did have one weird thought as I was straightening my hair after applying the flour though, "Am I technically baking my hair now? Will I have little to-go snacks available at my fingertips tonight?"

That would be one hair infested cookie.

I might stick with the powder after all.

4 comments:

Becky said...

go-snacks...that was great!

Jared and Brianne said...

Two posts about the popcorn without giving the recipe?!? You are killing me! I love caramel popcorn and would love the recipe if you are willing to share!! Also, I am with you on the fine hair...I have it too! You could try Bumble and Bumble Hair Powder. It's comes in 5 differnet colors to suit your own hair color and it does the same thing as powder/flour would do. I have never personally tried it, but I have heard good things about it!! =)

The Smith Family said...

I've heard of using powder before but flour? Mostly I was just thinking about when I clean up from making sugar cookies or pie crusts or anything that I have to roll out on a floured board...and I'm thinking about how when water and flour are mixed it's a big icky mess to clean. It's not that hard to wash out w/ shampoo? Hmm. Interesting.

If the popcorn turns out as yummy as it sounds, post the recipe!:) My air popper hasn't been used in a while and I'd love to put it to use!

Casey said...

Brandon actually has a "no rinse" powder shampoo thing that the guys use when they are out in the field.