Tuesday, February 17, 2009

the new old antenna

Remember having a set of rabbit ears on top of the ol' boob tube?

I don't. Ha HA!
I do remember having an antenna for our tv when Steve and I were first married. Rabbit ears, I can't be sure, but that's beside the point. Some channels would come in crystal clear while for others you had to do the yoga tree pose to just be able to hear dialogue and try to watch in between the wavy, fuzzy lines.


With all of this digital talk and goings on about converter boxes, cable, satellite and who knows what else, I've begun to wonder "what will happen to the next generation? What kind of people will they be? How will they truly ever appreciate a good picture when they've never had to stand next to the tv with one arm straight up in the air, the other on an ear lobe, and a pinkie toe touching the very tip of the antenna for the duration of an episode only to rest during commercials?" Talk about instant gratification. What it would be like to just sit down and push a single button and not have to move again for hours. It's not good.
I'll tell you what it breeds: ingrates.
But not to worry my dear blog readers. Even with our great resources and advances in technology, another character building tool, like the antenna, has emerged from the shadows.

Somehow it has reared it's ugly face three times in my life.

It's called the laptop power cord.

I swear. These things are going to be the death of me. I get to using a laptop (the latest with a wifi connection, talk about convenient) and get happy, comfortable, expectant. When I go to look something up, the computer better start. That's how it works.

Or how it should work at least.

For about the past six months I've been very kind, gentle, and patient with my dear cord. I was grateful, truly grateful for the power it was bringing to my laptop, therefore my life. Making blogs and big picture scrapbooking available anytime with a couple of keystrokes. I was living the good life.

For now that carefree access is gone. The cord, I am now convinced, has officially called it quits. My countless tries to bend it this way and twist it that way, to push it a little further in and then tilt it just a tad out have produced nothing. Not even a flicker of the blue charging light. Sigh.

So for now I am restricted to the "work" computer (as Steve refers to it) to check email, post my layouts on flickr, and sneak a blog in here and there. I can't do what I want when I want because it's really hard to keep the kids (well, Tyler really) out of paper work, off the fax machine, and away from the paper shredder. It's pointless.

That's why the posts are mostly just about recent layouts, I haven't left comments on fellow bloggers sites, and my pictures are terrible (no photoshop on this computer).

Enough of my blah, blah, blah, and on to last nights' page. I am very happy with how it turned out because there were so many pictures that I wanted to use. And I used every single one (that I wanted). So brace yourselves. There are a lot of unphotoshopped pictures to come:

Here's the deal. It's a two page 12x12 layout with a 8 1/2x11 (double sided) in the middle. Above is the 2 12x12's, side by side.

A close up of the first page

close up of the front 8x11
turning,

back of the 8x11


close up of the second 12x12.
Tons of pictures, but I wanted to do it that way this time. I had a lot of fun creating this one. Stuff just seemed to fall in place.

Off to the next one!

1 comment:

Gage said...

Time to take a trip to Best Buy. We have replaced two power cords over the years for the same laptop..I swear it was cursed.
So far so good, with the new laptop...keeping our fingers crossed that this cord will outlast the computer.