Sunday, August 24, 2008

People need to tell their friends when something is not working for them

After Katie's first day back to school, Grandma treated us to lunch at Costco.

While my mom was ordering the food, I was wrangling the hungry kids at the table as a grandpa and his granddaughter were eating/watching the circus that had come to Costco's food court. Grandpa was really friendly and said something to the effect of "you've got your hands full". I get that a lot lately. He then went on to chit chat, saying he knows how it is, he and his wife had four, yada, yada.

You know, it was his way of saying been there, done that. Glad it was me, not him.

My mom came back with the food, and we got things situated. I then took the girls to get their lemonade. By the time I got back, the grandpa's son had come in (to pick up his daughter I am guessing) so grandpa was distracted from watching us eat.

It was then my mom said, "he said something about you, but asked me not to say anything while you were gone." I gave her the "with whom do your loyalties lie?" look. She went on to tell me that as soon as I walked away, he asked if I was pregnant again. When my mom told him no, he said that it was my maternity shirt that made him think that I could have been. I'm sure he apologized, and then begged my mom not to tell me.

Then my mom confessed that she and my dad had the same thoughts when they saw me in that same shirt for the first few times.

Even if it may be a difficult discussion to have, tell your friend if she is wearing something that is not particularly flattering. Tell her if she has food stuck in her teeth, her skirt tucked into her underwear, a booger hanging off the tip of her nose. Be her mirror that she wishes she had in front of her when things like that happen.

I'm just saying.

See you later. I'm off to have a bonfire.

6 comments:

Tringali Family said...

So that is just the style now. I have decided even a stick figure would look pregnant in some of these outfits.

Cristy said...

Every 11-year-old in the country looks pregnant too! It's the Empire shirts! I have a few which I will add to the bonfire!

The Land of D said...

UMMM okay if I had seen you in that shirt I would TOTALLY told you! You know me, absolutely no barriers to what I might say. Butthead, if and when you EVER have a booger, poop stain, and/or spinich in your teeth I will tell you, AND laugh about it until we are old and pee our pants! I love you my petunia two-ply dolt of a best friend!

Audrey said...

poop stain?!? I love ya, but that's a little too close there. Clarify...poop stain? Who's poop stain? Leave it up to a mom of four boys to SMEAR my blog. :0

Kristi said...

I have to say I have wondered about some of the shirts in my own closet. Having a few of my own I'd say you do not look pregnant- no swelling in the face =). I'm waiting for this style to pass and hoping the next one is still somewhat forgiving of mommy tummies! You're as cute as ever, girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

Hey while I was pregnant with Dean the style was hip and new and I L-O-V-E-D it... not being forced to shop in the evil and overpriced maternity store was fantastic! But, that was then and this is 8 months after having my LAST (and that means final) baby..
for me its all fitted waist (with a corset or some spanx underneath)